Minister of Finance, Mr Pravin Gordon, delivered the National Treasury’s budget for 2017/2018.
The following amendments stand out:
- Super Tax Bracket (Individuals) – 45% on income above R1,500,000 p.a.
- Trust Tax Rate increased to 45% (from 41%)
- Increase to Effective rate of Capital Gains tax for Trusts / Super Tax Bracket
- Dividends Tax increased to 20% (from 15%)
- Withholding Tax for non-resident sellers of fixed property increased to 7.5%, 10% and 15% respectively (from 5%, 7.5% and 10%)
- The value at which property is taxed at 0% is increased from R750 000 to R900 000.
A new bracket of “Super Tax” has been introduced on personal income that levies tax at 45% on income exceeding
R1,500,000 per annum. This increases the effective rate on capital gains above this level to 18% (from 16.4%).
The increase in the Trust tax rate to 45% increases the effective rate of CGT for trusts to 36% (from 32.8%).
To sumarise: The effective tax rate of a company is now at 42.4% (after dividend tax has been paid). Therefore, it is still more beneficial to purchase property through a company than directly through a trust with an increased tax rate of 45%. – Our “hybrid” system of registering a trust and company simultaneously is still attractive!!!
Discover how to build your wealth with property investment Get free training videos & resources on the secrets of property investment in South Africa. Fill out the form below to gain instant access to our training resources.